TomTom GO Superior 6 Inch Car Sat Nav Review
If you travel a lot around Europe or you are planning a trip to one or multiple European countries, the TomTom GO Superior is the best Sat Nav to get. It’s designed specifically for travel in Europe, it’s packed with useful features that are easy to use and the large high definition display is a pleasure to look at.
If you are shopping for an affordable and easy to use car Sat Nav with lots of useful features, we recommend the TomTom GO Superior. The 6 inch touchscreen features pre-loaded maps for 48 European countries, traffic and speedcam alerts, lifetime updates and more.
The TomTom GO Superior is a great option if you want something more capable than the TomTom GO navigation app and with more features than the GO Navigator and GO Classic Sat Navs. Read on for our full review of the GO Superior, including what we like and don’t like about it plus how it compares to other models.
TomTom GO Superior 6 Inch Car Sat Nav Review
What Are You Buying?
1. 6 Inch HD Touchscreen Sat Nav
Let’s start with the hardware. The GO Superior features a large 6” high definition touchscreen that offers good picture clarity. The screen is easy to see whether you are driving at night or during the day.
The GO Superior Sat Nav has a 2GB RAM, which ensures there is no lag when you are swiping and tapping on the screen. It zooms in and out smoothly, making it easy and fast to find what you are looking for on the map.
The GO Superior is also equipped with a powerful speaker that delivers smooth and clear audio for navigation and alerts.
Overall, the GO Superior Sat Nav is just as good if not better than the built-in navigation you get on most cars. It may not be as big as some of the 7 and 8 inch displays in modern cars, but it’s still pretty big. But if you prefer a larger display, get the 7 inch TomTom GO Superior.
2. Pre-loaded Europe & World Maps With Lifetime Updates
Now let’s talk about one of the most important features of any Sat Nav — maps. While most Sat Navs have world wide maps, they have specific regions where they offer the best and most detailed maps. For instance, Garmin Sat Navs are some of the best for navigating through US cities.
The TomTom GO Superior is one of the best Sat Navs for Europe. This includes the UK and the Republic of Ireland. In total, it comes with preloaded maps for 48 European countries. So no matter where you are travelling in Europe, the GO Superior has you sorted.
You can plan routes or just follow the map.
The GO Superior also has preloaded world maps, though they don’t offer the same level of detail as the European maps.
To make sure you always have the latest maps, the GO Superior includes weekly lifetime free map updates. And you don’t even have to plug it into a computer or bother with apps. That’s because the GO Superior has built-in WiFi so you can download maps directly onto the Sat Nav. But you’ll need to connect it to your home WiFi to download the updates.
3. Lifetime Traffic Alerts
You also get lifetime traffic alerts, which save you time and help you avoid inconveniences. These include alerts on road blocks, accidents and traffic jams. You even get ETAs based on the real time traffic situation, so they are usually pretty accurate.
4. 1-Year Free Speed Cam Alerts and Other Services
Stay on the right side of the law with free speed camera alerts. The Sat Nav will let you know when there are speed cameras along your route.
These alerts are available free for one year. After that, you’ll need to pay for the TomTom speed cameras subscription.
Other TomTom services available free for one year include off-street parking spots, live fuel prices, EV charging stations and weather info.
5. Easy to Use Navigation
Navigating using the TomTom GO Superior is easy and intuitive. From route planning to figuring out which lane you should take, the GO Superior makes driving around Europe effortless. Here are some of our favourite navigation features.
- Lane guidance takes the stress out of navigating complicated intersections. The navigation shows you exactly which lanes you should take.
- Visual cues ensure you don’t miss any turns or alerts. They are especially handy if you prefer driving with the sound off.
- The GO Superior Sat Nav displays points of interest along your route such as petrol stations and restaurants to help you plan your journey better.
- There’s an option to control the Sat Nav by voice commands, so you don’t have to take your hands off the wheel.
- Easy route planning. You can even select what kind of route including fastest route and eco route (most fuel efficient).
- In addition to the usual 2D maps and images, the GO Superior also includes 3D buildings that give you a more accurate idea of where you are and where you are going. The 3D details are especially helpful when you are navigating around a city.
- When travelling, you can set up the navigation to avoid low emission zones (LEZ) which are common in many European countries. This is really helpful if you have an older vehicle.
How Easy Is It To Set Up and Use?
The TomTom GO Superior is really easy to set up. It comes with a click-and-drive mount. It takes just a second to attach the Sat Nav to it and it’s just as quick to detach it. The mount itself secures to your windscreen or dashboard using a strong suction base.
As for the software itself, it’s easy to operate. That 2GB RAM and HD display makes it effortless to navigate through various menus and settings. Setting up the Sat Nav takes a few minutes. The most important step is downloading the latest maps, something you’ll need to do often.
Several users say it can take some time to download maps, so make sure you do it well ahead of your trip.
The voice control feature works well most of the time, and we love how it ensures you keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. It’s also easy to search destinations on the screen. You don’t have to tediously type in the entire name. As soon as you start typing where you are going, it autocompletes.
What Accessories Are Included?
Here’s what you get with the GO Superior Sat Nav.
- Suction car mount that you can attach to any smooth surface like the windscreen, driver’s side window or dashboard.
- Car 12V charger with a USB port. You can charge the Sat Nav using the car charger, from a wall adapter or a power bank.
- You also receive a USB-C cable that charges the Sat Nav. By the way, the GO Superior has a 2hr battery life. But with the car charger, you can keep it plugged in so you don’t have to worry about that on long trips.
The TomTom GO Superior also comes with a 2-year guarantee.
- Large screen with sharp and clear display.
- Easy to use navigation.
- Free lifetime maps updates and traffic alerts.
- Lots of useful features.
- Great for driving around Europe.
- Some features like speed cams are available for free for 1 year only.
- Maps updates take time.
Anything Else You Should Know?
If you’d like even more features than the GO Superior offers, you can get the slightly more expensive TomTom Go Exclusive.
It has a 7” HD screen, more customizable routing options (including an option to select a scenic route), longer access to free speed camera alerts (1.5 years) and it comes with premium accessories including a leather case and screen protector.
But if you are on a budget, you can get the GO Navigator or GO Classic Sat Navs though you’ll miss out on some features. But they are good enough for basic navigation.
If you travel a lot around Europe or you are planning a trip to one or multiple European countries, the TomTom GO Superior is the best Sat Nav to get.
It’s designed specifically for travel in Europe, it’s packed with useful features that are easy to use and the large high definition display is a pleasure to look at.